5 Reasons to Switch to Organic Makeup
To women makeup is an essential part of our beauty routine which boosts our confidence. Often we are conscious about what we put in our body but not what we put on our body. We expose our skin to chemical-laden beauty products that can add toxins to our body. While our skin may not absorb everything, there are certain chemicals that can be absorbed and cause problems. Aside from the chemical aspect there are many reasons to switch to organic makeup. Here are the top 5 reasons you should make the switch.
- Safe and Chemical Free – Many of the chemicals used in makeup can irritate the skin and cause allergic reactions. But more importantly, some of the chemicals used in non-organic makeup are poisonous to our system. Phthalates and parabens are two common substances used in conventional makeup that have been linked to health problems. Phthalates are used as solvents and have been linked to endocrine disruption, causing reproductive problems. Parabens are preservatives that can increase estrogen leading to breast cancer and infertility issues.
- Healthier Skin – Our skin is the largest organ in your body and it can absorb what you put on it, good or bad. Many chemicals found in cosmetics can cause irritation, sensitivity and breakouts. Most conventional cosmetics contain ingredients that just cover up the problem. Organic makeup brands typically provide the skin with nutrients and allow the skin to breathe which promotes healthier skin.
- Better Results – Chemical and synthetic ingredients strip away the skins natural balance and simply cover up problems. By using natural plant based ingredients that are rich nutrients and antioxidants, you can help repair and rejuvenate your skin.
- Eco-friendly – Conventional products typically use ingredients that have a negative environmental impact such as petroleum, aluminum and lead. The chemical manufacturing of these ingredients put harmful chemicals in the air and water.
- Cruelty Free – Most organic cosmetics are cruelty free which means they are not tested on animals.
To research the chemicals that could be in your beauty products check out the The EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database.
What Ingredients to Look For in Organic Makeup
The ingredients in organic makeup should consist of botanical extracts, mineral pigments, natural oils and waxes. Some common ingredients include:
- Shea Butter
- Jojoba Oil
- Grape Seed Oil
- Cucumber Extract
- Lemon Balm
- Coconut Oil
- Cocoa Butter
- Almond Oil
- Carnauba Wax